Friday, December 12, 2008

Cactus with Character

As I sit looking out my window at a glistening, ice coated landscape, I dream of being some place warmer. A severe ice storm today caused power outages throughout New England, including my own home. A blustery cold day like this with no promise of heat makes me want to crawl under my comforter and go back to sleep. Instead, I decided to take a trip on my laptop to someplace warmer.

One of my most memorable and warmest adventures was a trip to Arizona. And one of the highlights of this trip was the Desert Botanical Garden. This unique garden covers almost 50 acres in Phoenix. I really enjoyed the cacti in this garden and everywhere I went in Arizona.

Have you ever noticed that each cactus has its own personality? I photographed this cactus looking very smart in a living bird hat.


Or this cactus checking out the other cacti.


These cacti all look so human. Is it the arms? Fingers? Hair? Check out this big toothless fellow screaming to his fellow cacti. This great cactus was located at the Scottsdale Camelback Inn.


Onward to Sedona. A trip to the Airport Mesa Vortex in Sedona was an opportunity to reenergize. And during a hike to find Cathedral Rock, I uncovered a whole crowd of Cacti gathered in awe of the beautiful red rocks.


The highlight of the trip was the Grand Canyon. Prickly Pear Cactus were in bloom all over the canyon rim and look about as friendly as a porcupine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs